2010 Dodge Caravan 3.3 Belt Diagram

Joined

·

50 Posts

Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I am in need of some help and I hope someone on the forum can help me out. Like a fool I took off the old serpentine belt and did not note the route of it. Now I am in the process of putting the new belt on and I do not know the routing of it. The auto parts store have a diagram but it not even close to what the van looks like. Can someone please post a diagram from the shop manual on the routing of the belt. You will be a life saver. Thanks.

Joined

·

122 Posts

Isn't there a diagram somewhere in the engine compartment or did they stop doing that?

Joined

·

82 Posts

There is a big label with a very clear diagram on the upper part of the grill assembly just next to the opening for the radiator cap. As you are opening the hood and propping it up, look straight down and you will see it. If you can't find it or it's missing, I will attempt to take a picture of it for you.

C.B.

Joined

·

50 Posts

Discussion Starter · #4 ·

There is a big label with a very clear diagram on the upper part of the grill assembly just next to the opening for the radiator cap. As you are opening the hood and propping it up, look straight down and you will see it. If you can't find it or it's missing, I will attempt to take a picture of it for you.

C.B.

No I do not have a sticker. If you could please take a picture. I would appreciate very much.

Joined

·

82 Posts

I'll be glad to do that but my camera battery is dead and will have to charge first so it will be tomorrow before I can post a picture. If no one else has posted a reference by then, I will post a picture. I don't understand why they would quit putting such a helpful guide under the hood as they and all other companies of my various vehicles do. Mine, BTW, is a 2005 T&C 3.3L but the diagram shows also 3.8 routing for 2005. I assume it will be the same.
C.B.

Joined

·

50 Posts

Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Okay I finally got it. The diagrams at the parts store were all wrong (Gates diagram 7-69). For anyone in the future the belt goes on like this: Around the water pump in the upper back of engine to the alternator which is in the upper front. Then around the alternator to the belt guide. Around the belt guide to the ps pump. Around the ps pump to the ac pump. Around the ac pump to the idler pulley. Over the idler pully to the crankstaft. Around the crankshaft to the water pump. I hope that helps anyone that finds them in the same situation I was in. It would be best to draw a quick diagram. I know lesson learned. I should have done that first. Thanks for all the replies to my problem.

Joined

·

50 Posts

Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Okay I have made a crude diagram of the belt route for a 3.8l engine. My previous route description was inaccurate. Here is the route: The water pump is at the back above the cranksaft. From the water pump go to the alternator. Around the alternator to the idler pully. Go around the idler to the power steering pump. Now go down to the a/c pump. Around the a/c pump up to the tensioner. Go around the tensioner and down to the crankshaft. Go around the crankshaft and up to the water pump. Hopefully this will help someone as the parts stores had the wrong diagram for my setup.

  • Game controller Technology Home game console accessory

    14.1 KB Views: 1,231

Joined

·

82 Posts

Here is the pic from my 2005 and it is different from your diagram.

C.B.

  • Text Font Line Diagram Line art

    25.1 KB Views: 6,084

Joined

·

138 Posts

I have the same sign as C.B in my car a 04

Skickat från min MT15i via Tapatalk 2

Joined

·

50 Posts

Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Here is the pic from my 2005 and it is different from your diagram.

C.B.

C.B. That is the same diagram I got from the auto stores. In the owners manual it does not have a diagram and if my car had a sticker under the hood it is no longer there. Why Chrysler would not put a diagam in the owners manual is beyond me.

georgef

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)

Joined

·

2,302 Posts

starchy,
I think your sketch is incorrect regarding the tensioner, here are a couple of images showing the proper routing for the belt:

Were you able to change the belt from above, or did you have to approach it from below? I was looking at the belt on my 2009 Caravan to verify that the above images are correct, and it looks like it might to difficult to replace from above.

I printed a copy of the first image and put it with the owners manual in case I have to replace or re-install the belt while I'm on the road. I'm surprised they don't have a label showing the belt routing under the hood anymore.

George

georgef

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)

Joined

·

2,302 Posts

Here's a simplified diagram I made for the 2008-2010 3.3L and 3.8L engines:

George

Joined

·

50 Posts

Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Here's a simplified diagram I made for the 2008-2010 3.3L and 3.8L engines:

George

George - Your diagram is the correct one. I got confirmation from the dealer on the routing of the belt. My appologies to anyone who followed my diagram as it is incorrect.

georgef

2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)

Joined

·

2,302 Posts

You can download a printable PDF file containing the diagram I posted above, here: 2008 2009 2010 Belt Routing.pdf (it also includes the 4.0L diagram).

Since here in Vermont I might not be able to look it up online (cell service is spotty at best), I printed a copy to keep in my van (along with a spare belt and tools), in case I need to replace the belt on the road.

George

Joined

·

462 Posts

Joined

·

57 Posts

any advice on the best approach to put the belt back on?

We had a heck of a time putting our last one on and even my wife got her smaller hands in there and it was a real pain in the butt getting it back on. We didn't take any wheels off or splash guards, not sure if that would help at all.

Joined

·

253 Posts

Having worked on both 4th and 5th gens, I can say pretty conclusively that you will have a much better time if you take off the wheel and splash shield. On a gen 4 its impossible to do from the top, on a gen 5 it's almost impossible. Working from underneath, it's a 5 minute job.

Jeepman

Joined

·

28,249 Posts

On the 4th Generation, I had the belt off and back on several times, from underneath, with the front wheels on ramps and the splash shield removed. Not something one wants to do after dark, but fine in the daylight. :)

Jeepman

Joined

·

28,249 Posts

You can download a printable PDF file containing the diagram I posted above, here: 2008 2009 2010 Belt Routing.pdf (it also includes the 4.0L diagram).

Since here in Vermont I might not be able to look it up online (cell service is spotty at best), I printed a copy to keep in my van (along with a spare belt and tools), in case I need to replace the belt on the road.

George

There is some logic to it with grooved versus smooth pulleys and the two small pulleys (tensioner and idler) pulling toward the middle.

Source: https://www.chryslerminivan.net/threads/need-help-with-2008-3-8l-serptentine-belt-diagram-route.25227/

Posted by: thomasthomasbricke0272605.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post